Tokyo to Kyoto / Osaka on the JR Tokaido Main Line by local train. This is a classic trip between Japan’s three major cities: Tokyo, Nagoya and Osaka. It takes about 9 hours by local train. You can see a variety of traditional landscapes such as Sagami Bay, Mt. Fuji, tea plantations in Shizuoka, Sekigahara Battlefield and Lake Biwa.
We assume no responsibility or liability for the contents of the following timetable. Please check the latest official information beforehand.
● Not all services and stations shown.
Cheap Train Tickets & Rail Passes
Ordinary ticket (over 101 kilometers)
Good value. You can get off the train many times in one direction from the departure station to the arrival station. JR Central Tokaido Shinkansen is available for an additional fee.
● Tokyo – Nagoya: Fare ¥6380 (valid for 3 days – daily cost about ¥2126)
● Tokyo – Kyoto: Fare ¥8360 (valid for 4 days – daily cost ¥2090)
● Tokyo – Osaka: Fare ¥8910 (valid for 4 days – daily cost about ¥2227)
● Tokyo – Himeji: Fare ¥10,010 (valid for 5 days – daily cost ¥2002)
● Nagoya – Kyoto: Fare ¥2640 (valid for 2 days – daily cost ¥1320)
● Nagoya – Osaka: Fare ¥3410 (valid for 2 days – daily cost ¥1705)
Seishun 18 Kippu
The most popular seasonal rail pass with Japanese tourists, the Seishun 18 Kippu is five flexible days of unlimited travel on local and rapid trains for ¥12,050. It can be shared up to five people. A supplement is payable on the reserved seat (ordinary class) and non-reserved Green Car.