Sapporo to Wakkanai / Abashiri / Kushiro via Asahikawa by local train. From Northern Hokkaido’s largest city of Asahikawa, the JR Soya Line runs to Japan’s northernmost station of Wakkanai, and the JR Sekihoku Line runs to Abashiri facing the Sea of Okhotsk.
We assume no responsibility or liability for the contents of the following timetable. Please check the latest official information beforehand.
● Not all services and stations shown.
Cheap Train Tickets & Rail Passes
Ordinary ticket (over 101 kilometers)
Good value. You can get off the train many times in one direction from the departure station to the arrival station. A limited express train is available for an additional fee.
● Sapporo – Asahikawa: Fare ¥2860 (valid for 2 days – daily cost ¥1430)
● Sapporo – Wakkanai: Fare ¥7920 (valid for 3 days – daily cost ¥2640)
● Sapporo – Abashiri: Fare ¥7370 (valid for 3 days – daily cost about ¥2456)
● Sapporo – Abashiri – Kushiro: Fare ¥10,230 (valid for 4 days – daily cost about ¥2557)
Seishun 18 Kippu
The most popular seasonal rail pass with Japanese tourists, the Seishun 18 Kippu is five flexible days of unlimited travel on local and rapid trains for ¥12,050. It can be shared up to five people. A supplement is payable on the reserved seat (ordinary class) and non-reserved Green Car.
Hokkaido & East Japan Pass
This seasonal rail pass allows unlimited travel on the JR Hokkaido lines and the JR East Japan lines. In addition to it allows unlimited travel on the Hokuetsu Express Hokuhoku Line (Muikamachi – Saigata), the IGR Iwate Galaxy Railway (Morioka – Metoki) and the Aoimori Railway (Metoki – Aomori).
● Hokkaido & East Japan Pass Hokkaido Tokkyu Option-ken Ticket (北海道＆東日本パス北海道特急オプション券: ¥6110: Valid for 1 day) that can be used with the Hokkaido & East Japan Pass, which is valid on the Hokkaido Shinkansen (between Shin-Aomori and Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto) and JR Hokkaido’s limited express trains (non-reserved seats)
● The journey from Sapporo to Wakkanai has a long waiting time for connection, and it takes almost a whole day (about 14 hours) just to move. On the first day, it is recommended to visit Furano and Biei, then staying overnight at Asahikawa, Nayoro, Tenshiogawa Onsen or Otoineppu. On the second day, you can move efficiently to Wakkanai.
● Wakkanai can make a day trip from Asahikawa, and you can also reach Cape Soya-misaki. If you stay at a hotel in Asahikawa, you can head toward Abashiri or Kushiro the next day.
● The rapid Kitami on the JR Sekihoku Line has a greater time-saving effect than local trains.
● It is convenient to take the intercity bus (reservation required) between Sounkyo and Kitami via Rubeshibe.
Travel without the Seishun 18
◆ Hokkaido & East Japan Pass: This rail pass allows unlimited travel on the JR Hokkaido lines and the JR East Japan lines. By using the limited express optional ticket (¥6110) together, the pass holders can take the Hokkaido Shinkansen and limited express trains (non-reserved seats) for one day.
◆ Ordinary ticket (over 101 kilometers): Good value. You can get off the train many times in one direction from the departure station to the arrival station. The ordinary ticket between Sapporo and Wakkanai / Abashiri / Kushiro is valid for 3 days.