Osaka / Kyoto to Niigata via Kanazawa by local train. This coastal route follows the Sea of Japan through the three Hokuriku prefectures: Fukui, Ishikawa and Toyama.
We assume no responsibility or liability for the contents of the following timetable. Please check the latest official information beforehand.
● Osaka – Kanazawa: JR West. Kanazawa – Naoetsu: IR Ishikawa Railway, Ainokaze Toyama Railway, Echigo Tokimeki Railway. Naoetsu – Niigata: JR East.
● Not all services and stations shown.
Cheap Train Tickets & Rail Passes
Ordinary ticket (over 101 kilometers)
Good value. You can get off the train many times in one direction from the departure station to the arrival station. JR West Hokuriku Shinkansen and limited express trains are available for additional fees.
● Kyoto – Kanazawa: Fare ¥4840 (valid for 3 days – daily cost about ¥1613)
● Naoetsu – Niigata: Fare ¥2310 (valid for 2 days – daily cost ¥1155)
● Kanazawa – Joetsu-Myoko – Naoetsu – Niigata: Fare ¥5840 (valid for 3 days – daily cost about ¥1946)
Note: Kanazawa – Joetsu-Myoko is via the Hokuriku Shinkansen. A limited express ticket between Kanazawa and Joetsu-Myoko is required to board the Hokuriku Shinkansen (¥2640). Joetsu-Myoko – Naoetsu is via the Echigo Tokimeki Railway.
Seishun 18 Kippu
The most popular seasonal rail pass with Japanese tourists, the Seishun 18 Kippu is five flexible days of unlimited travel on local and rapid trains for ¥12,050. It can be shared up to five people. A supplement is payable on the reserved seat (ordinary class) and non-reserved Green Car.
● The IR Ishikawa Railway (Kanazawa – Kurikara), the Ainokaze Toyama Railway (Kurikara – Toyama – Tomari – Ichiburi) and the Echigo Tokimeki Railway (Ichiburi – Itoigawa – Naoetsu) are not available with the Seishun 18 Kippu.
■ Kanazawa – Toyama: Fare ¥1240
■ Toyama – Ichiburi: Fare ¥1130
■ Ichiburi – Naoetsu: Fare ¥1310
However, there are the following exceptions:
● The Seishun 18 holders can be take the local trains (non-reserved seats) between Kanazawa and Tsubata on the IR Ishikawa Railway without extra costs. Stopovers are available only at Kanazawa and Tsubata stations.
● The Seishun 18 holders can be take the local trains (non-reserved seats) between Takaoka and Toyama on the Ainokaze Toyama Railway without extra costs. Stopovers are available only at Takaoka and Toyama stations.
● Kanazawa – Takaoka: Fare ¥840. Tsubata – Takaoka: Fare ¥610. Tsubata – Toyama: Fare ¥1100.
Hokkaido & East Japan Pass
This seasonal rail pass allows unlimited travel on the JR Hokkaido lines and the JR East Japan lines. In addition to it allows unlimited travel on the Hokuetsu Express Hokuhoku Line (Muikamachi – Saigata), the IGR Iwate Galaxy Railway (Morioka – Metoki) and the Aoimori Railway (Metoki – Aomori).