Niigata to Hakodate via Aomori by local train and the Hokkaido Shinkansen. Follow the traditional route along the Sea of Japan, which was once extremely popular with the Seishun 18 holders heading from Tokyo to Hokkaido.
We assume no responsibility or liability for the contents of the following timetable. Please check the latest official information beforehand.
● Local trains between Aomori and Hokkaido are not in operation, so the Seishun 18 holders need to purchase the Seishun 18 Kippu Hokkaido Shinkansen Option-ken Ticket (¥2490). This timetable is for users of the Seishun 18 Kippu Hokkaido Shinkansen Option-ken ticket.
● Aomori – Tsugaru-Futamata: the JR Tsugaru Line. Okutsugaru-Imabetsu – Kikonai: the Hokkaido Shinkansen. Kikonai – Goryokaku: South Hokkaido Railway (non-JR line).
● Not all services and stations shown.
Cheap Train Tickets & Rail Passes
Ordinary ticket (over 101 kilometers)
Good value. You can get off the train many times in one direction from the departure station to the arrival station. JR Hokkaido Shinkansen and the limited express trains are available for additional fees.
● A special limited express ticket (特定特急券) between Shin-Aomori and Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto is required to board the Hokkaido Shinkansen (¥4000).
● Niigata – Akita – Hakodate: Fare ¥10,340 (valid for 5 days – daily cost ¥2068)
● Akita – Hakodate: Fare ¥6600 (valid for 3 days – daily cost ¥2200)
● Niigata – Aomori: Fare ¥7480 (valid for 4 days – daily cost ¥1870)
Seishun 18 Kippu
The most popular seasonal rail pass with Japanese tourists, the Seishun 18 Kippu is five flexible days of unlimited travel on local and rapid trains for ¥12,050. It can be shared up to five people. A supplement is payable on the reserved seat (ordinary class) and non-reserved Green Car.
● The section between Okutsugaru-Imabetsu and Kikonai on the Hokkaido Shinkansen, and the section between Kikonai and Goryokaku on the South Hokkaido Railway, the Seishun 18 holders need to purchase the Seishun 18 Kippu Hokkaido Shinkansen Option-ken Ticket (¥2490).
Seishun 18 Kippu Hokkaido Shinkansen Option-ken Ticket
This is an optional ticket (in Japanese: 青春18きっぷ北海道新幹線オプション券) that can be used with the Seishun 18 Kippu, which is valid between Okutsugaru-Imabetsu (Honshu) and Kikonai on the Hokkaido Shinkansen, and between Kikonai and Goryokaku on the South Hokkaido Railway.
● Period of use: Same as the Seishun 18 Kippu. It is sold until the last day of the Seishun 18 Ticket usage period.
● Sales location: At major JR stations and reserved seat ticket vending machines nationwide.
● Price: ¥2490. Same price for both adults and children.
● Validity period: 1 day. The dates of use of the Hokkaido Shinkansen and the South Hokkaido Railway must be the same.
● Validity Section: The Hokkaido Shinkansen (Okutsugaru-Imabetsu – Kikonai *the ticket holders can use the vacant seats of ordinary cars) and the South Hokkaido Railway (Kikonai – Goryokaku *the ticket holder can take the local train.
★ The train connections between Aomori and Hakodate when using the Seishun 18 Kippu and the Hokkaido Shinkansen Option-ken Ticket are as follows.
● Aomori – Kanita – Tsugaru-Futamata: Take the local train on the JR Tsugaru Line. You may need to change trains at Kanita. After arriving at Tsugaru-Futamata Station, walk through the connecting passage to Okutsugaru-Imabetsu Station on the Hokkaido Shinkansen.
● Okutsugaru-Imabetsu – Kikonai: : Take the Hokkaido Shinkansen (vacant seats of ordinary cars). You will pass the Seikan Tunnel in this section.
● Kikonai – Goryokaku – Hakodate: Take the local train on the South Hokkaido Railway (Donan Isaribi Tetsudo). All trains run directly from Kikonai to Hakodate, stopping at Goryokaku.
Hokkaido & East Japan Pass
This seasonal rail pass allows unlimited travel on the JR Hokkaido lines and the JR East Japan lines. In addition to it allows unlimited travel on the Hokuetsu Express Hokuhoku Line (Muikamachi – Saigata), the IGR Iwate Galaxy Railway (Morioka – Metoki) and the Aoimori Railway (Metoki – Aomori).
● Between Shin-Aomori and Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto on the Hokkaido Shinkansen, this rail pass holders can use the vacant seats of ordinary cars by purchasing a special limited express ticket.
● Hokkaido & East Japan Pass Hokkaido Tokkyu Option-ken Ticket (北海道＆東日本パス北海道特急オプション券: ¥6110: Valid for 1 day) that can be used with the Hokkaido & East Japan Pass, which is valid on the Hokkaido Shinkansen (between Shin-Aomori and Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto) and JR Hokkaido’s limited express trains (non-reserved seats)