Kokura (Kitakyushu) / Hakata (Fukuoka) to Kagoshima-chuo by local train on Kyushu’s main conventional line along the Ariake Sea. Why don’t you take a side trip from Kagoshima to Makurazaki, the southernmost terminus on the JR line? We also recommend taking the night ferry from Kagoshima to Yakushima Island.
● Yatsushiro – Hitoyoshi – Yoshimatsu on the JR Hisatsu Line has been out of service for a long time due to flood damage. The highway bus “B&S Miyazaki” runs from Shin-Yatsushiro Station to Hitoyoshi IC and Ebino IC.
We assume no responsibility or liability for the contents of the following timetable. Please check the latest official information beforehand.
● Yatsushiro – Sendai is on the Hisatsu Orange Railway (non-JR line). The Seishun 18 holders need to purchase the Orange 18 Free Kippu (¥2100) one-day pass, or the Orange One-day Pass (65 yeas of age or older / children ¥1400).
● Not all services and stations shown.
Cheap Train Tickets & Rail Passes
Ordinary ticket (over 101 kilometers)
Good value. You can get off the train many times in one direction from the departure station to the arrival station. JR Kyushu Shinkansen is available for an additional fee.
● Hakata – Kumamoto: Fare ¥2170 (valid for 2 days – daily cost ¥1085)
● Hakata – Shin-Yatsushiro – (Kyushu Shinkansen) – Sendai – Kagoshima-chuo: Fare ¥5610 (valid for 3 days – daily cost ¥1870) → Note: A limited express ticket between Shin-Yatsushiroand and Sendai is required to board the Kyushu Shinkansen (¥1760).
● Hakata – Yatsushiro – (Hisatsu Orange Railway) – Sendai – Kagoshima-chuo: Fare ¥6740 (valid for 3 days – daily cost about ¥2246) → Note: An ordinary ticket via the Hisatsu Orange Railway can only be purchased at the JR Kyushu stations.
Seishun 18 Kippu
The most popular seasonal rail pass with Japanese tourists, the Seishun 18 Kippu is five flexible days of unlimited travel on local and rapid trains for ¥12,050. It can be shared up to five people. A supplement is payable on the reserved seat (ordinary class) and non-reserved Green Car.
● Hisatsu Orange Railway (Yatsushiro – Sendai) is not available with the Seishun 18 Kippu. The Seishun 18 holders need to purchase the Orange 18 Free Kippu (¥2100) one-day pass, or the Orange One-day Pass (65 yeas of age or older / children ¥1400).
Orange 18 Free Kippu
This is a one-day pass for the Seishun 18 holder that allows unlimited travel on the Hisatsu Orange Railway between Yatsushiro and Sendai. You need to present your Seishun 18 Kippu to purchase the Orange 18 Free Kippu.
● Period of use: Same as the Seishun 18 Kippu.
● Sales location: Major stations on the Hisatsu Orange Railway, or inside the train (ask the driver).
● Price: ¥2100. Same price for both adults and children.
● Validity period: 1 day.
→ The Orange One-day Pass (Adult ¥2800; 65 yeas of age or older / children ¥1400) is also available throughout the year. Sold at the major stations on the Hisatsu Orange Railway, or inside the train (ask the driver).