The most popular seasonal JR rail pass with Japanese tourists, the Seishun 18 Kippu is five flexible days (times) of unlimited travel on local and rapid trains on the JR lines. There is no age limit, and one ticket can be used up to 5 times (or 5 people).
Recommended for the following trips
● Budget travel throughout Japan by local train
● Leisurely travel by local train
● Travel in groups of 2-5 people
● Multiple small trips
● Save money on transportation and spends money on meals (or lodging)
There is no age limit. Anyone can use it!
● Ticket Name: 青春18きっぷ
● Sales Period: Spring = 20 February – 31 March; Summer = 1 July – 31 August; Winter = 1 December – 31 December
● Valid Period: Spring = 1 March – 10 April; Summer = 20 July – 31 August; Winter = 10 December – 10 January
● Price: ¥12,050 (¥2410 per time – per day) *Same price for children
● Where to buy: Major JR Stations (Midori-no-madoguchi), reserved ticket vending machines (指定席券売機), Japan’s major travel agencies
Validity period per time
Valid for 1 day each time (0:00 – 23:59).
● It can be used 5 times by one person, or once by a group of 5 people. Groups of 2 or more must use the same itinerary.
● If the train passes midnight (0:00), it is valid until the first stop.
● In Tokyo and Osaka, it is valid until the last train within the designated train sections.
Available: No extra charge
● Local and rapid trains on the JR lines = Non-reserved seat
● BRT (bus rapid transit) on the JR lines
● JR West Miyajima Ferry = Miyajimaguchi – Miyajima Island
● ☆ JR Sekisho Line “Shin-Yubari – Shintoku” = Limited express train (non-reserved seat)
● ☆ JR Ou Line “Shin-Aomori – Aomori” = Limited express train (non-reserved seat), local and rapid trains (reserved seat = vacant seat)
● ☆ JR Miyazaki Airport Line “Miyazaki – Miyazaki Airport” = Limited express train (non-reserved seat)
● ☆ JR Sasebo Line “Haiki – Sasebo” = Limited express train (non-reserved seat)
☆ = If you board from / to outside the designated section by limited express trains, you need to pay the fare and charge for the entire boarding section.
Other Railway Lines
The following railway lines and sections have specified stations where you can get off on the way with the Seishun 18 Kippu. If you board from / to outside the designated section, you need to pay the fare for the entire boarding section.
● Aoimori Railway “Aomori – Hachinohe” = Stopovers are available only at Aomori, Noheji and Hachinohe stations. → Learn more
● IR Ishikawa Railway “Kanazawa – Tsubata” = Stopovers are available only at Kanazawa and Tsubata stations. → Learn more
● Ainokaze Toyama Railway “Toyama – Takaoka” = Stopovers are available only at Toyama and Takaoka stations. → Learn more
Available: Extra charge
● Reserved ordinary seat of local and rapid trains on the JR lines = Seishun 18 Kippu + Reserved ordinary seat ticket
● Non-reserved green car seat of local and rapid trains on the JR lines = Seishun 18 Kippu + Non-reserved green car seat ticket
● Liner trains on the JR lines = Seishun 18 Kippu + Liner car seat ticket
Seishun 18 Kippu Hokkaido Shinkansen Option-ken Ticket
This is an optional ticket (¥2490) that can be used with the Seishun 18 Kippu, which is valid between Okutsugaru-Imabetsu (Honshu) and Kikonai on the Hokkaido Shinkansen, and between Kikonai and Goryokaku on the South Hokkaido Railway. → Learn more