(高龍寺) Hakodate’s oldest temple was founded in 1633 and relocated here in 1879 after the Boshin civil war. Hokkaido’s largest San-mon (temple gate), built in 1911, is carved with dragons and lions. The temple buildings were constructed from 1899 to 1933, surrounded by British- and French-style red brick walls. Don’t miss the Kaizan-do hall that has 500 wooden statues of rakan (Buddha’s disciples: photography is allowed). It is a 10-minute walk from Hakodate Dock-mae tram stop.
Higashi Hongan-ji Hakodate Betsuin
(真宗大谷派 東本願寺函館別院) Japan’s oldest reinforced concrete temple was rebuilt in 1915 after the 1907 great fire. The temple features its magnificent roof tiles.
(実行寺) Founded in the mid 17th-century, Jitsugyo-ji was related to a German-American artist, French sailors and a Russian consular after opened the port. The temple was rebuilt in 1918 and it has some memorials.
(称名寺) Right next to Jitsugyo-ji, Britain and France set up consulates at this temple in the late-Edo period. In 1929, Shomyo-ji was rebuilt with reinforced concrete. From the left side of the temple building, Kannon Trail (1250m) leads to the top of Hakodate-yama.
(函館八幡宮) Set at the foot of Hakodate-yama surrounded by the ceder forest, this tasteful place, built in 1915, is the major Hachiman-gu shrine in Hokkaido. It is a few minutes’ walk from Hakodate Park or Yachigashira tram stop.